1 September 2015

New York, New York

I'm taking a two-week trip to the nation of freedom and fast food! A university friend that I first met when she studied abroad in Australia and then saw again when I studied in the States is getting married! So I'm rounding out my summer with a quick trip through New York state and the always delightful Midwest.

This was my second visit to New York City, but my last was during the frozen middle of winter in a year that saw an unusually high number of winter storms. This time around I spent my first day walking around the city in a dress; loving every second of not needing a jacket or scarf or leggings! 

Unfortunately the only downside of this is unwanted male attention but the hilarious side is that New Yorkers use the cheesiest pickup lines I've ever come across! One guy tried telling me him and his friend were detectives and they wanted to see "my licence for being so beautiful". Another hoped that when I grabbed my phone out of my purse to take a photo I was getting it out to text him.

This trip was all about budget, and in NYC that's a small challenge. The hostels I chose were around $50USD a night. I stayed at a different hostel on return from Niagara Falls, a little trick that worked out nice for me in previous holidays. I like staying at a different hostel when you're coming back to a place because you get to see a new neighbourhood and even feel a different vibe to the city, plus you'll remember which one you liked better if you ever return.
Riding my bike past some of the sculpture art on Governor's Island
I tried to save most of my spending money on food, and enjoyed a lot of the free sights and activities in the city.
My favourite was Governor's Island. Only open to the public from May to September, you catch a ferry from Lower Manhattan for $2 return. Arrive on the island before midday make sure you make use of the free bike hire and you can easily do a lap of the island to check out the art sculptures and views across to Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. They also have a hammock park if laying down is more your thing.
A small glimpse of the beautiful High Line garden in the city
Another little gem a hostel buddy told me about is The High Line. It's a garden built on a 2.3km (1.45mile) stretch of unused subway track a couple of floors high. It didn't feel that long when I walked it, though! Parts of it sat alongside tall apartment buildings and office blocks and it was really neat; I always love seeing a bit of nature in big cities (see my London favourite, Camley Street Natural Park). There was some great art to see along the way and cool places to sit for a while and watch the city traffic. 

When in New York I also recommend getting around to Brooklyn Bridge Park. I walked over Manhattan Bridge a little before sunset and made my way to the park and get some of the most gorgeous views of the sun setting behind the skyscrapers and the city lights turning on as night fell. The park itself is also buzzing with food and activities in the summer, and was nearly swamped with photographers and couples getting engagement and wedding photos taken. But the beautiful setting is just as good for selfies!

One day for lunch I made my way to the original Shake Shack, a fast food place that won me over with their frozen custards when I was in Washington D.C. two years ago. The line to get some lunch at the Madison Square Park location was rediculous, but I lined up anyway behind an Australian couple saying how excited they were to have Shake Shack with their thick Melbournian accent making me cringe with every syllable! (I'm so sorry world! We don't all sound like that!)

I also took a trip on the famously free Staten Island Ferry, which is the closest you can get to the Statue of Liberty without opening your wallet. Simply walking through the different parts of the city is a treat because you're always stumbling upon scenes you've seen in movies and TV shows. You can never see all of Central Park. I loved my summer New York adventure, but by the end I was itching for the Midwest so bad! I love exploring cities but I'm not a city person at heart. Uff-da!
Times Square selfie!

No comments:

Post a Comment