2 September 2015

Falling for Niagara Falls

So I booked some flights to the USA. A two week trip; one week in New York and one week with my friend for her wedding. And then I looked up things to do and places to stay in New York. And then I looked at my bank account. I may have cried, but you'll be glad to know I got through that tough time and with some careful planning I booked a trip up to Niagara Falls that saved my poor exchange rate dollars from evaporating in the big city for a few days!

Beautiful Niagara Falls
I will admit when I booked it I thought, "yeah, that'll be cool, I guess Niagara Falls seems like one of those things you should try and see once". I was silly. Cool is an understatement.


Getting misty!
I travelled from New York to Buffalo with Megabus on an overnight trip. I was lucky enough to snag one of the best seats on the top level right up the front so I had a great view and got to put my legs up on the little ledge! 

Riding the Maid of the Mist (before the mist drenched us like rain!)
At my hostel in Buffalo I met three Aussie girls at dinner (I swear all the good Aussies are found in hostels) and the team of us caught the $2 bus to the falls the next day. Definitely wear comfy walking shoes because there's so many little trails to walk to view the falls from all different angles. And trust me, the mighty power and beauty of these falls never gets boring!

I had a goal for the year to go to another country, have lunch, and leave. The idea came about because it seemed like a completely possible and hilarious thing to do in Europe. You have to remember I'm from Australia, where you can drive all day and all night and still not even leave your state, and a decent amount of water separates us from our neighbouring countries!

Get your passport out!
So there I was, at this gorgeous natural beauty, and I walked the pedestrian bridge to Canada! It was a bit cool! When the immigration guy stamped my passport and asked me how long I planned to stay in Canada for, he seemed a little hurt when I told him, "just for lunch!". Like he thought I thought his country was only worth a couple of hours!

How crazy is it that you can just walk to another country!
Everyone tells you the Canadian side of Niagara Falls is so much better. They're not lying! Make sure you walk right to the very end of the lookout over Horseshoe Falls. Pictures won't ever do that view justice!

Horseshoe Falls from the Canadian side

No comments:

Post a Comment