23 July 2015

Seeing Anne in Amsterdam

I left Brussels for Amsterdam, again making use of cheap bus fares I had found and booked several weeks earlier. When I arrived at the station I realised I had forgotten to do what I usually do and look up how to get to the hostel before arriving at a new destination. My phone was being super uncooperative and not connecting to the wifi so I couldn't look up directions. I've never been so glad of my super-organised side that thought of the genius idea to write down every travel detail I'd need in a tiny notepad! A helpful local was able to use the address I had written down to give me directions using the public trams.
Welcome to Amsterdam
My first afternoon I walked around the neighbourhood the hostel was in. I nearly got hit by so many bikes! Bicycles rule the roads and they stop for no one!
It's so simple but it was actually so nice to see a city where everyone uses and relies on their bicycle. I wish other cities around the world could adapt to be more cycle-friendly. I swear it makes communities happier.
Bicycles line every bridge, railing and role in the city
Canal views
It was fun to just walk around Amsterdam city and let yourself get lost in the streets and boat-lined canals. There are some interesting markets all around. Some are a bit touristy but some have some really nice clothes and jewellery. 

After a solid few hours of walking I was sort of hungry but not yet hungry enough for a meal, and I stumbled upon the Amsterdam Cheese Museum. Downstairs they have an informative display where you can learn about how cheese is made and how the process has changed over the centuries. But the real treat is upstairs where you can try all of their cheeses. I most definitely also recommend their dipping sauces for cheese; the fig one is my favourite.
Some pretty canal-side Amsterdam buildings
The Anne Frank House and museum
My personal highlight of my stay in Amsterdam was visiting the Anne Frank house. I lined up for nearly three hours but I thought it was completely worth it. From what I hear most people wait for about two hours so I joined the line when it was particularly long. I came prepared with a book to read and some snacks, and they also have free wifi. 

The museum was amazing though, and to walk through those rooms the families hid in was a very humbling experience. Anne's bedroom still shows some of the pictures and postcards she pasted to the walls to decorate the room. Other than these small details the rooms remain as they were when Anne's father returned to the house. 
Me squinting in the brightness out front of the Anne Frank House
I learned so much about Anne's story and it's unimaginable that such a huge number of people would also have had their own experiences and stories about what happened to them during World War II. The museum had a very thought-provoking video playing of people sharing their reflections on Anne's diaries, and it made it very clear to me that a lot of the issues raised by a teenager's diaries from decades past are still very real issues in today's societies. I definitely recommend looking up more about Anne Frank and visiting the museum if you're ever in Amsterdam.



No comments:

Post a Comment