12 February 2015

London pros and cons

I've been in London a few weeks now. I have a house, a job, a love for the tube and a dislike for the buses! Here's a few of the things I've loved (and not so loved) about my first few British weeks:

Pro: The transport system
Londoners know how to do transport. The underground system is so easy to understand, as long as you know where you want to go and if you're heading north, south, east or west. I imagine buses are similarly easy. I've had three experiences trying to get home after the tube has stopped. The first time a knowledgeable local helped me out; the second time was a complete disaster, no one was any help and I eventually waited until the tube started again and got home at 6:30am, and the third time was a success! Practice makes perfect! I only wish I had my car when walking home with loads of groceries like a pack horse- but I'm going to try and find a bike to help with those local trips.
There's maps everywhere. If you can read you can't get lost on the tube!
Con: Everyone in London smokes
It's gross. I hate smoking; can't handle it. In Australia I find it easy enough to just hold my breath while I walk past a smoker, but in London I feel like I'm breathing second-hand smoke nearly all the time.

Pro: The weather
I didn't think I'd write that! But it hasn't even been bad!
We've probably had about one rainy day a week, and the rest have been a mix of cloudy skies and clear days. More cloudy than clear, but I can't complain.

Con: Hygiene standards
No wonder they had the plague! I'm a bit of a hygiene freak and so tend to pay more attention to this than the average person. I've seen way too many employees take my germ-ridden cash then directly touch my food. Ew.

Pro: Free stuff
I can get not one, but two free newspapers every weekday! And they're not even the small community soft news that's in the free papers that get thrown on your driveway each week like back home. It's proper news! I love it!
Also, Nike run free group workout sessions in parks and shopping centres across London. I love group classes; they remind me of going to the gym in America. You rock up, find some friends if you didn't bring your own, have a good laugh and then enjoy the feeling of having sore muscles the next day and use your little sense of achievement to make it feel better!

Con: Nobody smiles
In Australia when you walk down the street and you pass someone, you look them in the eyes and you smile at them. Often you'll get a "good morning" or a "hello" but at the very least people will acknowledge your existence. I didn't even realise it was something we do so much until I came here. I look at people passing me in the street and I'm lucky if they even make eye contact! It's so weird to get used to, and I really wished random people would smile at me more!

What little cultural differences do you notice when you travel? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment