30 July 2015

Roaming Rome

I left the beautiful Copenhagen for Italy, the last country on my summer holiday. And summer it surely was! Everywhere else on my trip I was still comfortably wearing long pants most days. There were some days I easily could have worn something cooler but my favourite travel pants did a great job of taking me from day to night around the cities. But not in Rome! I'm so glad I added on Italy to my trip last minute; it wouldn't have been a proper summer vacation without the chance to get in my togs!
An ancient entertainment venue
First up on the sight-seeing and city-exploring agenda was the famous Colosseum. This is one impressive old building! The archaeological sites around the Colosseum and the whole city never got less fascinating as I walked through Rome.
My first day in Rome before the tan appeared
History just sitting there waiting for us to be curious
When I travel I am constantly mind-blown at how old the world is (sometimes I forget for a moment that modern humans only make up a small part of Earth's history).
I love learning about the stories of places I visit from Asia through to Europe and my mouth sometimes drops a little when I look at something and realise how incredibly long ago some of these things happened. How many people have stood in the exact places I have? And how different was their view compared to mine?
The Victor Emmanuel II Monument
St. Peter's Basilica
I got a bit dehydrated my first day of walking in the heat in Rome but I learnt my lesson the second day (gelato helps) and made it over to the Vatican City to marvel at St. Peter's. I popped into a number of other worship places in Rome and proved wrong the idea that "you've seen one European church, you've seen them all". Religious or not, you should check them out when in Rome, they're beautiful.

I summed up my exploration by foot by walking along the river and criss-crossing the many bridges. I spotted a few groups sitting on the water's edge with a tasty picnic of cheese and biscuits and added that to my list of European to-do list. Rivers in Australia aren't graced by these many beautiful bridges to set the cute picnic scene in the same way.
There are walking and cycling paths down at the water's level where locals were enjoying picnics in the sun
My short but sweet stop in Rome didn't end my first taste of this delicious carb-loving country. Make sure you check out the final leg of my summer trip down to the Amalfi Coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment