10 July 2015

I want to move to Scotland

I spent a week in Scotland, and if I hadn't already booked trips for the next three weeks I would have never left! From the moment I walked out of Edinburgh's airport I knew I was in for a good time!

Getting into the city of Edinburgh from the airport couldn't be easier. I bought a return tram pass. It is slightly more expensive than getting the bus but it does offer nice views. Next time I go I'll get the bus and let you know what's better.
How can you not be in love with Edinburgh already?!
For the first part of my Scottish adventure I stayed at Castle Rock Hostel. Overall it sits very nicely at the top end of my most favourite hostels worldwide. You couldn't fault the location; right across the road from Edinburgh Castle, around the corner from where Harry Potter was born and a skip and a step from the Royal Mile.

Both accommodation and food were great value for money in Edinburgh. My favourite places to grab a bite to eat include:
  • The Royal Mile Tavern- even though staying at Castle Rock got us a 25% discount I didn't feel guilty of being a tourist sticking to the main street here. The portion sizes and flavours made for a great dining experience.
  • Mums Great Comfort Food- I came here for a well-deserved dessert after a walk up one of Edinburgh's hills. As soon as I walked in it really did feel very homely- they even had the exact bird figurines on the wall as my Nan has at her house! The food was delicious and filling, and the service was lovely.
    Sticky Date Pudding at Mums! A classic go-to!
  • The Piemaker- I'll admit I grabbed a cheap lunch or dinner here more than once in my short stay. The guys inside make great recommendations. It's the best bakery I've found since leaving Australia. They sell sausage rolls that have hashbrown instead of pastry- get one of those!
  • The Outsider Restaurant- A lovely restaurant with an extensive menu of varying flavours. A place I know my dad would love but I would typically look at the menu and walk away at the price tags. BUT! They do a lunch menu equally as divine for a fraction of the cost. I definitely recommend.
I climbed up here and sat and enjoyed the 360 degree view for an hour.
My absolute favourite Edinburgh must-do is a walk up Arthur's Seat. Spectacular views are even better when they're free and you get bonus points when you work for them. There are a couple of different ways to tackle the climb, and this blog has a great map to highlight them. Whatever way you choose to explore Holyrood Park I'd recommend wearing good walking shoes and taking some water and a camera. Picnics at the top are also a popular idea.
The top of Arthur's Seat
If the weather is fine, Portobello Beach makes a great half-day trip. The public buses are easy to use and have free wifi, just make sure you have correct change. If you're a part of the Harry Potter generation there's also many treasures around the city to be appreciated. 
Not the best photo of Portobello! I promise it's nice! 
I know I'll be back to Edinburgh! I'm hoping to spend a few months or so of my visa in Scotland eventually. Worst case scenario I will find many weekends to take my London friends up for a packed itinerary of my favourite spots and new adventures, too! Make sure you check out my trip to the Scottish Highlands and the Isle of Skye as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment