30 June 2015

Girls' trip to Stockholm!

The boys in my share house all went on a lads' trip to Amsterdam, and so us girls thought it was about time we go on our own holiday! I was really keen to do the Nike Women's 10km but the London event had sold out. One of the girls and me were then looking up other races we could do in Europe- not that we need a reason to visit any of these gorgeous cities.

We looked at going to Milan, Paris and Stockholm and in the end Stockholm was the winner. Somehow I convinced all the girls in the house to not only come but run the 10km with me too!

We booked cheap flights with Ryanair. It was my first time flying with them and I felt the only positive aspect of their reputation was the cheap ticket, but I'm pleased to say both our flights were on time!

Our group of five stayed at the City Lodge Hostel, which had a great location. We never had the need to use public transport as it was so easy to walk in any direction.

One of my favourite spots we walked to was called Skinnarviksberget. It's the naturally highest point in the city and a great little local's hangout.
It's basically a rocky area with gorgeous views across the water and the urban landscape. We sat there for ages and took advantage of the great summer weather. Locals had brought picnics and drinks so we felt like we were the odd ones out there.


The Nike 10km will be one of my personal highlights of the year. The event itself was one of the best races I've been a part of in terms or organisation, value for money, the course and event atmosphere. Before the race we all got our hair braided and tattoos to make sure we looked gorgeous in our race photos despite the sweat and red faces. We all achieved personal best times! I was on such a high buzz for ages after the race! We got given finisher's necklaces instead of medals which I thought was a great idea. The never-ending supply of free healthy drinks and snacks was also a bonus!

Stockholm is definitely a city I'd be happy to go back to. The people were absolutely lovely and always jumping to help you before you even asked! It was very easy to get around, order food and communicate with locals. It was hard to find someone who didn't speak perfect English.

No comments:

Post a Comment