30 January 2015

All moved in!

Exactly one week after landing in London we had a house picked out and ready to move into! Thanks again to Astor Hyde Park Hostel for the great stay. I'll definitely be back on your side of town again. I have to find a rainy day to explore all the museums and see Hyde Park again in the Spring!

We had a busy day on moving day! We started our applications for NI numbers, opened bank accounts and picked up our keys. I think we just managed to pick up our bags from the hostel and get on a train before the heavy rush of the afternoon peak hour.
Our cute little street in East London!
Our house is in East London and the housemates are mostly Australian with a couple of Kiwis. Our street is very British-looking and cute! We have a teeny tiny backyard, but it'll be nice to sit out there when it warms up. I'm surprised about the size of our bedrooms. I expected them to be a lot smaller, like nearly everything else in the house! And my favourite room in any house, the kitchen, has these cool skylights that I'm in love with!
Dylan picking out our bed sheets
We needed to get blankets and pillows and a store called Argos was recommended to us. I don't know why these stores aren't a global phenomenon!
One day Argos will be like McDonald's, drive through and all. Argos is basically a department store where you can buy toys, homewares, clothing, jewellery, electronics, you name it. You search for what you want through the catalouge, write down the product code on a bit of paper and take it to the counter. Then you pay for it and wait a couple of minutes while people run around out the back getting your stuff, then you pick it up. How good is that!
Our local Argos
We also did a big grocery shop at a huge Tesco. That place is the size of a Walmart. It's crazy. But we got a jar of lemon butter for about 30p, so about 60 Australian cents. And it tastes even better than the ones you get in any Australian supermarket. Usually I'm all for homemade food, but if I can get a decent one for 60 cents then I'll take it!

It's so good to unpack! Not having to dive into my backpack daily is a fabulous feeling!

I have a lot of exploring to do around my new local area, and also so much more to see in London!
Dylan exploring the High Street on his hands. Yes, this is normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment